Why are natural Gemstones treated?
Just as wood and furniture need to be lacquered, so do gemstones require finishing before they are ready to be sold. Enhancement is a term used in trade to describe any process (in addition to cutting and polishing), which improves the appearance or durability of gemstones. With colors of 99 of more popular gem type s are treated.
Thermal enhancement of rubies and sapphires is coincided stable and permanent. Under normal wear and handling conditions and it is generally accepted by the international gem and jewelry trade. The international trade also generally accepts the filling of tissues (clarity enhancement) in emerald and other colored stones. Epoxy resin and oil used to enhance emeralds we less stable.
Some gem stones cannot send market without treatment. For example heating greenish brown zoisite to 600 degrees celsius to become the currently popular vibrant violet –blue Tanzanite. No heating, no Tanzanite
Are all Gemstones treated? No, the following list includes gemstones that are not treated
- Aquamarine (Cats Eye)
Are all treatments can be detected?
Some treatments that are detected using visual observation and/or standard gemological instrumentals.
- Thermal enhancement and reconstructed in amber.
- Clarity enhancement
- Thermal enhancement in corundum.
- Diffusion treatment and irradiation.
Some treatments are not currently debatable.
- Thermal enhancement in Beryl, zircon, Tourmaline
- Irradiation - yellow colour in heliod and pink colour in magenta blue in Blue Topaz, pink color in Kunzite and quartz (to create amethyst, green quartz, and yellow brown colour